Wednesday, January 20, 2010

feeling pregnant

the last few days have brought some nausea, dizziness and exhaustion. i find that if i try to eat every 2 hours or so, i feel a little better. it is worst in the morning until about 10 and then gets bad again in the evenings. i out of know where become STARVING, but nauseous at the same time, so nothing seems appetizing. the good thing is, it's pretty healthy things that i can tolerate, like yogurt, crackers with peanut butter and soup. i'm trying to eat lots of protein and folic acid. mr. found out there is lots of both in chick peas and lentils and has been trying to force feed me these things and these things only. (i happen to have some texture issues and hate both) my mom made me some beef stew loaded with beans, veggies and lentils which i've been eating too. i ordered some "preggy pops" along with a book on twin pregnancy. if anyone has any suggestions on good twin and/or pregnancy books, i'd love to hear them. part of me didn't want to order the book, in case we get bad news next week, but the other part of me feels like i really need to start reading about this stuff! i also think i need to find a bella band, since i pretty much have my pants unbuttoned at all times.

i am relieved that i am feeling sick, and feeling "pregnant". i am hoping this is a good sign and we will see 2 heartbeats at our u/s on monday. i will be 7 weeks at that point, so we should definitely see them, right?

9 comments:

Finn's Mom said...

Yes, indeedy, you should see the h/b at 7 weeks. Good for you for only tolerating the healthy stuff! ;) I would say that I hope you start feeling better, but I know feeling crappy is reassuring to us IF ladies. So I hope you continue to feel crappy! ;)

sunflowerchilde said...

I'm reading When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, and Quadruplets by Dr. Barbara Luke, and I like it pretty well. I'm finding the weight gain recommendations to be a little unrealistic (she seems to think you will start gaining weight at week 1, before you are actually pregnant), but it is very helpful otherwise.

Yes, you should see the heartbeats on Monday - it will be beautiful!

Missy said...

Glad you are finally having symptoms.

Unknown said...

Happy I found your blog! It's encouraging to read as I begin my journey with clomid/IUI. I am dealing with secondary infertility, and so far clomid hasn't worked - after 4 rounds.
Reading your posts keeps me thinking good thoughts!
Hope all goes well at your u/s. I have one tomorrow to check follicle size - again.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

I agree with the recommendation for Dr. Luke's book. I found a lot of faults with all of the other twin books. I could never keep up with the calorie or protein recommendations, but at least I felt like I was going in the right direction toward preventing premature birth.

For non-twin regular pregnancy books, the Mayo Clinic one is by far the best -- trust me, I read literally over a dozen of them!

Good luck at the u/s!

Eileen said...

YAY for feeling preggo! Can't wait to hear all about the big ultrasound. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

When my wife J tested pregnant with our twins after our 5th (and only successful BFP) IVF attempt, the line appeared on the pee stick almost instantly. Strong, solid.

At that point, alongside the extreme excitement that we were at last over the first (but definitely the highest) hurdle, at the back of my mind I hoped - yearned - for it to be twins.

Whilst my wife felt sicker and sicker (I'm afraid her morning sickness lasted for about five months - she actually lost weight to start with...) I began to demonstrate what I felt was a superstitious activity in the hope of good luck, but what a clinical psychiatrist would probably call OCD. Every morning, when I squirted shaving gel into the palm of my left hand, I squirted two small beads rather than a single blob. I don't know why the gel in particular. I think it was just an outward demonstration of my inner desire for twins. That first morning (because those tests always have to be with the first pee of the day), I stood looking at my palm and watched the two small beads of gel grow and slowly turn white as they began their transformation to foam. I deliberately and carefully scooped the first and applied it to one cheek, and then the second to the other.

I've done the exact same thing for the last twenty months, and for almost every morning of the last 11 months (O & E have grown so fast), they've been in the bathroom with me, playing with toys on the floor as Daddy gets ready. I look down at my palm and then at them, and realise that even though I might be becoming clinically compulsive, it was borne from a desire - a wish even - that has come true, and it's now a little ceremony of thanks.

Enjoy every second, because it is in those tiny interstitial moments between the great events that we really live our lives.

I can't wait for you to share in the wonder of twins.

Sending you so many good wishes.

J x

JB said...

Dude, the pee is still drying on my (first-ever!) positive HPT, and I already have the exact same symptoms (and timing) you are describing for 6 weeks...I may be in for a world of hurt!

Gabby said...

YIPPEEEE!!!! I follow up all the time, but hadn't commented lately.. Now, its totally safe. Yes, you will see two heartbeats, yes, it's time to buy twin books.. Yes, yes yes!

I am so excited for you.

Dr Luke's book is good.. But yes, ignore the weight gain recommendations and also dont stress out about trying to eat 70 grams of protein a day, like she recommends. I personally think that is impossible.

So excited for you!