Thursday, March 26, 2009

and the decision is...

i called up the pharmacy to refill my clomid and ovidrel this morning.  i think it's worth another try (or 2) of IUI before i bring out the big guns (IVF).  i am sort of doing this because i don't have time to meet with my doctor before i have to make the decision.  i am meeting with him on monday, and if i haven't gotten my period, i will discuss other options with him, but i have a feeling AF may show up today or tomorrow. 
  i am thinking i will do 1 more Clomid cycle.  i did have one good follicle and zero side effects, so it feels comfortable to do that.  if that doesn't work, i will try 1 injectable cycle and if that doesn't work, i will do IVF in June.  as i've mentioned before, i run a small daycare out of my home.  the school year ends in May.  i usually do summer camp in june and july, but if these next 2 cycles don't work, i will take the summer off and do IVF.  i feel like it would be too hard to do IVF while i am working, without taking a ridiculous amount of time off for monitoring and everything else it entails.  

thanks for all your thoughts and comments!


Barefoot said...

Sounds like you have a good plan! I'm so jealous that you didn't have any Clomid side effects. I think of all the crazy drugs I've taken, that one was the worst!

Good luck with your next cycle.

nancy said...

What are the hours of your daycare? Just wondering because I did IVF without ever missing a minute of work, except for ER and ET. I just had really early appointments (7am).

Good luck with your IUIs. Personally, since the 'issue' seems to be the male side of things, I don't know what going to injectibles would do, unless you just want to have more targets. Just a thought in case you don't have ins coverage for the inject, they are so damned expensive.

Missy said...

Sounds like a good plan

jones said...

good luck!

Parenthood For Me said...

Stopping by for ICLW. That is great that you have IVF covered. That is a huge hurtle for many people. I think you are right to stay with IUI for now. Summer is a great time to IVF b/c it entails a lot of monitoring and down time.
Good luck to you.
Check out by non profit if you get a chance. Help spread the word

Anonymous said...

Good luck! We're taking a break for now, but I hope all goes well for you!

Anonymous said...

Might I make a suggestion:

Why not try an IUI with injectables before jumping to IVF?

We were told IVF was the only way we would get pregnant. Switched RE's, did injectables with timed intercourse and were pregnant THAT cycle.

The reason I suggest is that perhaps A you can save some money and B. You can get a few more cycles in before summer if you would ultimately go to IVF.

Good luck.

Hillary said...

The next steps seem like they're difficult decisions. GL figuring it out, but hopefully you won't need to do much because you'll get a BFP next cycle :)

Stacie said...

Here from ICLW

It sounds like you have a solid plan, and that always helps in the land of IF! Good luck with your next cycle. It would be great to come back next month and find you have a positive! :-)

Ha. The word verification was "ovens"--makes me think of buns in our ovens!

Misty said...

Sounds like a good plan. Glad to hear that you didn't have any side effects with Clomid, I think I had everyone that was listed.
Good luck to you!

Liv said...

I like your plan. I also like your plan b/c it's the same as mine... :o) One more IUI then IVF in July.

I also have coverage as you do, however I did find out that all of the intricate labwork (which in IVF is a LOT almost half the cost) is only covered 70% because it's out of network. So, I'm hoping IUI works for my heart and my pocketbook.

Man I wish the best for ya. Take care.