Monday, June 8, 2009

21 Oocytes!!

my retrieval was this morning and they got 21 eggs!!  i will find out more on the development on wednesday afternoon.  assuming all goes well, my transfer will be thursday or saturday :)

for those of you interested, or who may have to go through it someday, here's how the day went...

i had to stop eating and drinking as of midnight. i was to arrive at the place at 8am for a 9am retrieval.  i couldn't wear any jewelry, contacts or anything scented. (apparently eggs and embies do not like odors)

i have to admit, i was terrified!  i kept telling myself, 'it's only a needle, you are used to needles' and 'you won't feel a thing'.  but i was scared.

when i got there, they had me change into a johnny and gave me warm blankets.  they asked a few questions, confirmed my identity and started the IV. they had to put it into the bruise in my arm from saturdays bloodwork. ew. then the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me.  i had never been put under or had any type of surgery before.  

they wheeled me in early (the person who was supposed to go before me was late because of  an accident on the highway.  i was also held up by this but gave myself 2 hours to get to the place which is 45 min away.  it took me the whole 2 hours)

the lights were dim. when i sat on the table, the embryologist came in and introduced herself and checked my identity.  (she was pretty and kind, take care of my embies!)  then the doc performing the surgery checked my id, and then the nurse.  they had me scoot down on the table and put my legs in stirrups.  they are bigger and higher than the regular ones and hold you at the knee.  the last thing i remember is them asking me to do one more scoot.  the next thing i knew, i was waking up in the recovery room with mr holding my hand and the nurse beside me.  i was groggy and started to feel sore right away.  the nurse put something into my IV for the pain.  a few minutes later i was starting to feel better.  i took some tylen.ol and had crackers and ginger ale.  about 15 minutes later, the cramping felt manageable and i felt awake.  they had me try to pee.  i couldn't.  i drank 3 cups of water and tried again.  i still couldn't go!

i was almost starting to worry.  i read the book SO CLOSE by Tertia Albertyn.  i remembered she had talked about not being able to pee after one of her retrievals and had to be hospitalized.  the nurse ran the water, and gave me a magazine to try to get my mind off of it.  the problem was whenever i relaxed, i felt some pain, so i tensed up again. their final trick was to pour warm water on myself.  i finally went and i was able to go home.   

i am sleepy and a little sore, but overall doing alright.  


Just me said...

Yay for lots of oocytes! Hopefully mine goes as well on Wed. :)

Liv said...

As I read this I picture a vegas style card dealer exclaiming "21!".

What a great report, I hope the good news train keeps a commin' with the fert. report and great transfer and even BETTER BFP.

Thanks for sharing your insight, very helpful to know how it went for you in case the rest of us needs it.

Good luck, good luck, good luck!!!

Missy said...

Glad to hear there are so many eggs. I hope they develop well and the transfer is smooth.

Beautiful Mess said...

WOOOHOOO! Lots of eggs, that's awesome! Glad it all went well and you were able to go pee. Hope the bloating subsides, too.